Skip to main content

The Important of Yourself

I'm your stereotypical "helicopter parent". My children are always in my sight. In fact, I can count on one hand how many times my children have spent the night elsewhere and I wouldn't even need the whole hand. I am so paranoid to let them go anywhere and be out of my care that I just don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Well, three days ago it became necessary. My husband and I needed to head to Dallas. Okay, we didn't *need* to head to Dallas but me coming along was important. I just didn't even realize how important it was until our trip was coming to a close. 

Finding childcare for five children including triplets was agonizing. My mother in law lives 3 hours away and my kids have never stayed there without me. And most of the people in our lives have other commitments in life they can't just drop to watch our kids, with the exception of my grandmother who needed a break just as much as we did. Needless to say I was stressing out over it. Especially the triplets, because really they require the most work and with them nursing I wasn't wanting to be away from them for days. 

We ended up sending our older two to my mother in laws. They went early and the first two days were rough. All I could think is what if there was an emergency, I was 3 hours away and couldn't get to them right away. When we put my four year old in the car she cried because she wanted me to go with her. My heart broke. I felt helpless. 

Then we sent the triplets to my moms house after she took off work. From her house they would go to a friends house. While trusting both people I just wasn't ready to part with my little infants. 

How do you turn off mommy mode? How do I function as a regular adult when I've not done it for so long. My entire life is dictated by this little army I've created and I don't know anything but my daily scenario anymore. 

And then we boarded the plane. And I was anxious. I was nervous. The first night I tossed and turned and didn't sleep like I wanted to. But that first day, it was fabulous. I was able to wake up when I wanted to. I showered, brushed my teeth, put on makeup and even did my hair...one right after the other and it only took me about an hour! And the longer I was away, the more revitalized I felt. Catching up on sleep was one thing, but just resetting my entire routine was refreshing. I felt like a different person, and it was nice. 

Where am I going with this? Stop being a helicopter parent. I hate when people say "my kid didn't leave my sight until he was three, not even for an hour so I could go to the grocery store". Great! Do you want a trophy? Because all you did was torture yourself. Now...there are some moms who can say that because they had no choice. And kudos to you because it's hard!! Everyone deserves a break. Seriously hire a sitter for an hour and go grocery shopping alone. But for those of us who *choose* to never have our children leave our side. WHY?? 

Having children doesn't mean you lose yourself. And taking a breaking doesn't make you less of a mom or a bad mom. Actually it's the opposite. I needed this break. I needed me time. I cannot go back to my kids more focused and energized and be a better mom to them. 

And quite frankly I deserved a break. And so do you. Take it. 

As I sit on the plane heading back home from Dallas, typing my thoughts on this little phone screen...I realize how important I am. My needs, my wants...my life revolves around my kids. It if I don't take of myself what good am I to them? I know now that I can go home and be better. 

And man do I miss my kids. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. I am so excited to go home and hear them scream and cry. Who says that? A mommy who hasn't seen her babies. I hope all you stretched thin mommies heed my advice. You deserve that pedicure. You're doing an amazing job. Reward yourself. 

Comments

  1. Hello , as I identify with what is written here ... it's really true ! For those who have a life "full of kids " these breaks are fundamental and only make us better people and therefore better mothers . thanks for sharing . Alexandra
    vivertodososdiasaqui.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine the pressure you are under having multiples and practicing attachment parenting. Do you pump at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. har haft Jeg reaing dine artikler . Det er godt skrevet. Det ligner du bruger en stor mængde tid og kræfter i at skrive blog. Jeg dæmning værdsætte din indsats . Du kan besøge min hjemmeside
    Gulvafslibning

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Birth Story

Women don't want vaginal births so they can receive an award, or a trophy, or acknowledgement. Women want vaginal births because their body was made to birth a baby. Or two. Or three. The first thing I said when we learned we were carrying not one, but three babies, was that I didn't want a c-section. It wasn't that I had anything against c-sections...they are an amazing thing that when needed saves lives. However, I knew I would be essentially forced into one and that didn't sit well. I had dreamed up this amazing birth like the two I had before. My support system around me as we gently welcomed our new baby into the world. Tears, happiness, togetherness. Suddenly, that came crashing down. I would have to leave my midwife, whom I trusted and loved, and switch to an Ob who wouldn't give me the time I was used to. Who didn't know me or my body and how it delivered babies. When I first began looking for a new provider, I was right in my assumpt

Adventures in Breastfeeding

**Warning, Blog Contains Breastfeeding Pictures. Proceed at own risk ;) Pumping suck. There, I said it. I knew I would have to do some pumping, but I didn't think I would be doing this much. It makes me feel bad for cows, really. And not only does pumping suck, but so do bottles, and the mountain of them I seemed to be buried by every single day. I call this my bag of tricks ;) So I somehow got stuck in this downward spiral, and while my birth was about as close to perfect as I could have envisioned, our breastfeeding journey has not been. I know it's unrealistic to have this perfect image in your head and it actually happen, but we are getting there... it just didn't happen right away. I had lovely babies with great latches from the beginning. Yes, sometimes we had to fix a shallow latch, but they were preemies. And for them being early, we were all amazed they wanted to latch and they wanted to breastfeed, despite their sleepiness.   Sometimes, y

34 Weeks, Let the Countdown begin!

As each week passes, I just thank God we have made it so far. It's so hard to believe that we are nearing the end of this journey, only to begin a new journey! Our doctor appointment today was not uneventful. Baby A (Addisyn) weighed in at 4 pounds 1 ounce. Baby B (Bentley) weighed in at 5 pounds 1 ounce. Baby C (Connor) weighed in at 4 pounds 10 ounces. Almost 14 pounds of baby in there, and let me tell you- my body feels it! During their ultrasound, Addisyn decided in her usual fashion to be a little bit of a pain. She was hard to measure because she is sitting so low in my pelvis. She also is starting to exhibit signs of IUGR, as her growth is slowing. She is still growing, but on a curve she is starting to flat line out if that makes sense. Her fluids, while last week looked okay, were very very borderline today. They want to see pockets of 2+ and she was 2.03. She also didn't want to practice her breath, thankfully she did when the doctor looked at her again, beca