Skip to main content

Why even the sixth baby is a blessing.

I have often been intrigued by the disdain society seems to have for large families.

I remember shopping at JCPenney, and the cashier asked me "Are they all yours?" Insert my internal eye roll, but outwardly I smiled sweetly and proudly exclaimed, "Yep!" You see, I learned quickly and early that if I am positive about my family people typically follow suit, but if I follow society's lead and react negatively...they will too. This was not the typical situation. The woman scowled a little and said, "I hope you're done and don't have anymore children."

Well, miss cashier, I would like to know when my choice to reproduce became your business. Clearly in the 2 minutes we had made acquaintance she could gather that I didn't need more children. But this was not a surprising reaction, this was not the first time I have had a complete stranger tell me that I shouldn't have more children. Honestly, this is probably one of the more mild comments I receive when we go out.


So, when a few months later two little pink lines popped up on my pregnancy test, my first emotion wasn't joy. I was terrified- terrified of society. Society has such a vendetta against big families, and ours was only getting bigger. What would people say? What would they think?

And most importantly, why did I care?

Here is why I care:

When you ask me if I am done having children, when you ask me if they're all mine, when you tell me "better you than me!", when you tell me "I would've killed myself"...my children hear you. And the older they get, the more understand. Why should I have to explain to my 6 year old why you are so upset we have so many children?

My children are a blessing. I have been given an abundance of blessings, and yes, some days are really hard. But on my hardest day I wouldn't change a thing. No, they don't get their own rooms. I am an adult and I don't get my own room, so my children can also learn the life lesson of sharing their space with another human being. My college was also not paid for by my parents, and I did not come from a large family...the size of our family shouldn't be dictated on how much we are paying for their college. Who says they all want to go to college? And the ones who choose to, well good thing they have scholarships and grants.

How we can afford our kids is no one's concern unless you're offering to pay our bills. In fact, a decision to have more children is no ones concern unless you're offering to pay our bills. My children are well cared for, well loved, and well disciplined.


So here is my plea, to strangers everywhere. I know you probably want to comment on my large family. Before you do, ask yourself a few questions. Is what you're going to say productive? Is what you're going to say kind? If the answer is no and you simply can't help but comment, please just tell me how beautiful my children are, or how blessed I am to have them.


And to the mama expecting her fourth, fifth, sixth baby...maybe more...don't be afraid to share your amazing news. Don't let strangers deter your happiness. Your baby is a blessing, and you deserve to be happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Birth Story

Women don't want vaginal births so they can receive an award, or a trophy, or acknowledgement. Women want vaginal births because their body was made to birth a baby. Or two. Or three. The first thing I said when we learned we were carrying not one, but three babies, was that I didn't want a c-section. It wasn't that I had anything against c-sections...they are an amazing thing that when needed saves lives. However, I knew I would be essentially forced into one and that didn't sit well. I had dreamed up this amazing birth like the two I had before. My support system around me as we gently welcomed our new baby into the world. Tears, happiness, togetherness. Suddenly, that came crashing down. I would have to leave my midwife, whom I trusted and loved, and switch to an Ob who wouldn't give me the time I was used to. Who didn't know me or my body and how it delivered babies. When I first began looking for a new provider, I was right in my assumpt

Adventures in Breastfeeding

**Warning, Blog Contains Breastfeeding Pictures. Proceed at own risk ;) Pumping suck. There, I said it. I knew I would have to do some pumping, but I didn't think I would be doing this much. It makes me feel bad for cows, really. And not only does pumping suck, but so do bottles, and the mountain of them I seemed to be buried by every single day. I call this my bag of tricks ;) So I somehow got stuck in this downward spiral, and while my birth was about as close to perfect as I could have envisioned, our breastfeeding journey has not been. I know it's unrealistic to have this perfect image in your head and it actually happen, but we are getting there... it just didn't happen right away. I had lovely babies with great latches from the beginning. Yes, sometimes we had to fix a shallow latch, but they were preemies. And for them being early, we were all amazed they wanted to latch and they wanted to breastfeed, despite their sleepiness.   Sometimes, y

34 Weeks, Let the Countdown begin!

As each week passes, I just thank God we have made it so far. It's so hard to believe that we are nearing the end of this journey, only to begin a new journey! Our doctor appointment today was not uneventful. Baby A (Addisyn) weighed in at 4 pounds 1 ounce. Baby B (Bentley) weighed in at 5 pounds 1 ounce. Baby C (Connor) weighed in at 4 pounds 10 ounces. Almost 14 pounds of baby in there, and let me tell you- my body feels it! During their ultrasound, Addisyn decided in her usual fashion to be a little bit of a pain. She was hard to measure because she is sitting so low in my pelvis. She also is starting to exhibit signs of IUGR, as her growth is slowing. She is still growing, but on a curve she is starting to flat line out if that makes sense. Her fluids, while last week looked okay, were very very borderline today. They want to see pockets of 2+ and she was 2.03. She also didn't want to practice her breath, thankfully she did when the doctor looked at her again, beca