Skip to main content

We're Growing so big!



I can't believe the babies are 8 weeks old! I've really been a slacker with updates, but let me tell you, three babies is a lot of work! (No, really? Ha!) I will be brutally honest, they are truly more work than I think I realized. But, I am here to update!

The babies are currently 8 weeks old, or 3 weeks adjusted. This means, they are 3 weeks from their due date had they been born full term and not prematurely. It really doesn't mean a whole lot, especially since ours weren't *that* early, but it means a bit in terms of their development and weight gain. They will likely develop along their adjusted age, but then again all babies develop differently anyway, so it doesn't even matter.

Currently Addisyn weighs 7 pounds, 8 ounces. Impressive for a 4 pounder, eh? Mister Bentley also weighs 7 pounds, 8 ounces. And our little Connor man is 7 pounds 5 ounces. Our little peanut has caught up to the boys and surpassed! She needs to keep up so she doesn't get beat up. ;) They are growing like weeds!! We are averaging about an ounce a day of weight gain for each, which means all that breastmilk is doing them well!


Speaking of breastfeeding, it is going pretty well! They do get the occasional bottle, because realistically I need sleep. So sometimes my grandma will come take them for a few hours and feed them so I can get a nice stretch. It's fabulous! We are so blessed to have her. Thankfully I have been able to pump and have extra, in addition to the wonderful donor milk we were gifted by a fabulous mama.

A lot of people ask me how long it takes to feed all three. Surely I must always be feeding a baby. It certainly seems that way at times, especially since we just passed a growth spurt. (That was ROUGH!) However, it only takes me about an hour to feed and change all three, an hour and a half if I pump afterwards. I am able to tandem feed two and then feed the third. If I was really crafty I would pump one side while the last one eats, but I am not that crafty. Because of this, I do not pump in the middle of the night like I should, because quite frankly my sleep is important to me. And if I can't function, I can't be a good mommy to these little lovies.

They eat every 2-3 hours, so this gives me an hour or two depending to do whateverrrr I want. (Snort) This usually means I am stuffing my face or trying to get a little extra shut eye. Or, sometimes, I can manage a shower. I also use this time to spend some quality time with my older two girls.


My girls are adjusting pretty well. Natalie is hysterical, she tells EVERYONE about her babies. She is 3.5 and is so proud of her three babies. God forbid anyone start asking questions because she will go on rants about her three babies and how they were in mommy's belly but now they aren't, and they cry a lot. But then when they do cry, she asks why we have to have all these babies because "she is so sick of their crying". Uh, what?!  Where does she learn this stuff from? She will stomp around and tell them to shut up, and I try so hard to not laugh when I tell her that is not a nice thing to say.

She is still better than Charlotte though. Charlotte loves the babies, so much she enjoys climbing into their rockers and trying to cuddle with them. And she is constantly giving them kisses which of course wakes them up. Or sometimes she just smacks them and takes their binkies. Which again, wakes them up. I don't think she quite knows what to do with them all. Thankfully, she doesn't seem jealous. She just wants to hold them and kiss them and then she is good.


It is so sweet to see their personalities come alive slowly. Addisyn is definitely a diva. She likes to be held and cries when she isn't. If she isn't the center of your attention she will get your attention! Bentley has the most pitiful cry. He breaks my heart every time he cries, because it just sounds so heartbreaking. He is probably the most cuddly of the three, he just wants to be near you all the time. Or held. He and Addisyn definitely cry the most, but they also are the gassiest. We suspect some milk sensitivity so I have had to really watch what I eat (although I suck at it quite frankly) but we have found white noise and gripe water to be a blessing. Bentley also has a bit of a lip tie, but because he is transferring milk well and gaining great we are leaving it alone. Sometimes I wonder if it aids in his gassiness, but who knows. Connor is the most mellow of the three. He can certainly make himself known, but generally he just hangs out. Sadly, because he is the most mellow, I feel he gets the least of my attention so when the other two finally settle I try to get in extra snuggles with him.

Addisyn always makes the funniest faces, and her tongue is always out!! She probably has the biggest personality right now. Connor often looks grumpy, maybe it's the receding hairline? Ha! And Bentley just looks puzzled, like how in the world did I get out here?! I can't wait to watch them develop moe, and get to know them even better!




As for me, as hard as this experience is...I am so blessed that God entrusted me with three little lives. I am often asked if I am feeling alright, as PPD is common with one baby and more so with three. I am thankfully doing well, even with lack of sleep. I don't feel sad, or anything like that. I was actually expecting some PPD, and quite the opposite has happened. I feel overwhelming happy! Yes, sometimes I get frustrated and want to cry. I have even had a few "I can't do this" breakdowns. But, on a daily basis I am doing great.

It's been a struggle merging my parenting style with what I have to do...and can do. But hat is another post for another day. :) Hopefully everyone enjoyed the beautiful pictures. Actually, I tried doing their pictures. I had some help from friends, but it was too difficult to be mommy and photographer. I think I do one or the other well...not both. So when Melissa from Baby Monster Photography reached out to us, I was so beyond thrilled to have beautiful professional pictures. And Melissa is a doll! You can check out her stuff here: babymonsterphotography.com

Until next time, God Bless!


Comments

  1. love the pictures, all 3 babies are so adorable. You are an awesome Mom. I just hope you are still getting lots of help with all 5 kids, that is a handful and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad.you are pumping and.got.donor milk too. I also had post partum "elation". I've been having recurring dreams at night about having triplets, and I found your blog by googling triplet birth. God bless

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Birth Story

Women don't want vaginal births so they can receive an award, or a trophy, or acknowledgement. Women want vaginal births because their body was made to birth a baby. Or two. Or three. The first thing I said when we learned we were carrying not one, but three babies, was that I didn't want a c-section. It wasn't that I had anything against c-sections...they are an amazing thing that when needed saves lives. However, I knew I would be essentially forced into one and that didn't sit well. I had dreamed up this amazing birth like the two I had before. My support system around me as we gently welcomed our new baby into the world. Tears, happiness, togetherness. Suddenly, that came crashing down. I would have to leave my midwife, whom I trusted and loved, and switch to an Ob who wouldn't give me the time I was used to. Who didn't know me or my body and how it delivered babies. When I first began looking for a new provider, I was right in my assumpt

Adventures in Breastfeeding

**Warning, Blog Contains Breastfeeding Pictures. Proceed at own risk ;) Pumping suck. There, I said it. I knew I would have to do some pumping, but I didn't think I would be doing this much. It makes me feel bad for cows, really. And not only does pumping suck, but so do bottles, and the mountain of them I seemed to be buried by every single day. I call this my bag of tricks ;) So I somehow got stuck in this downward spiral, and while my birth was about as close to perfect as I could have envisioned, our breastfeeding journey has not been. I know it's unrealistic to have this perfect image in your head and it actually happen, but we are getting there... it just didn't happen right away. I had lovely babies with great latches from the beginning. Yes, sometimes we had to fix a shallow latch, but they were preemies. And for them being early, we were all amazed they wanted to latch and they wanted to breastfeed, despite their sleepiness.   Sometimes, y

34 Weeks, Let the Countdown begin!

As each week passes, I just thank God we have made it so far. It's so hard to believe that we are nearing the end of this journey, only to begin a new journey! Our doctor appointment today was not uneventful. Baby A (Addisyn) weighed in at 4 pounds 1 ounce. Baby B (Bentley) weighed in at 5 pounds 1 ounce. Baby C (Connor) weighed in at 4 pounds 10 ounces. Almost 14 pounds of baby in there, and let me tell you- my body feels it! During their ultrasound, Addisyn decided in her usual fashion to be a little bit of a pain. She was hard to measure because she is sitting so low in my pelvis. She also is starting to exhibit signs of IUGR, as her growth is slowing. She is still growing, but on a curve she is starting to flat line out if that makes sense. Her fluids, while last week looked okay, were very very borderline today. They want to see pockets of 2+ and she was 2.03. She also didn't want to practice her breath, thankfully she did when the doctor looked at her again, beca