Skip to main content

Marriage and Multiples

When I was pregnant, I remember my husband telling me that another triplet dad said something like 60% of marriages with triplets+ end in divorce. I laughed a little and told him it couldn't be that bad, and that had to be a false percent.

Then we had the babies.

One night while all three cried and screamed while I got bottles ready as quickly as I could, he said to me, "I see why those marriages ended in divorce. The dad probably just wanted a little sleep away from all those kids." Half asleep, I smiled a little but I really just wanted to trip him as he walked away. I'm glad my husband has a sense of humor, and that in my more clear state of mind I can't help but laugh at that comment. We were still in the hospital, and I think looking back that makes it even a little more entertaining because he really could just go home and sleep in our own bed with no crying babies.

The reason our marriage won't end in divorce is because he didn't. Except when he went back to work and I told him he needed to rest and to go home and sleep, the nurses and I could handle it.

My husband doesn't like babies. He just doesn't. Our 3 year old- he does great. He is calm and patient with her, and when I lose my cool he brings me to earth and tells me to calm down. He enjoys doing things for and with her, and her tantrums don't phase him the way they stress me out. When it comes to the babies, he and I switch places.

The other night, two of the babies couldn't be consoled. It didn't matter what we did. Fed them, held them, gave them a pacifier. They just were not having it. I was frustrated with them which I am sure didn't help, and I was frustrated with him. I can only do so much, and he was a mixture of trying to sleep and asking me did I want him to do something.

Mamas, remember that men are NOT programed in the same way women are.

I screamed in my head, "I shouldn't have to ask you to help me!! We have 5 kids, grab a baby and do something! This isn't your first time at the rodeo!" but instead, I sharply said "No, I have it."

Did I have it? No. But I was really too proud to admit that at the time. This was the night I caved and gave them bottles. In the middle of making said bottles, he came down, and told me he would finish those, he couldn't handle the noise upstairs. So I trotted up and let him finish, and we sat and fed the babies (who by the way still weren't very happy). He kept saying, "I don't know how you do this. I don't know how you do this."

I smiled. And it clicked. He was more overwhelmed than I was, because babies are not his thing. So of course he isn't going to do what I want him to do unless I ask him to do it. BUT, want to know the greatest thing about my husband?

When I ask him to do it, he does. He just needs asked.

Which says a lot about our understanding in marriage, and how we cope with the stresses of multiple children. I often feel bad asking for help, even from my husband. But the fact is I can't do it all, all the time. I am human and I am not super-woman. My husband helps where he can, when he can. He loads the babies in the car, does the older girls bedtime routine so I can focus on the babies.

We work well together because his strengths are my weakness and my strengths are his weakness. And the more I realize that I have to understand him, and not just expect him to read my mind, the better we can cope together on this crazy ride. Is our marriage perfect? No, no marriage is perfect. That would be pretty boring. Our marriage is a learning experience, and it doesn't matter how long you've known someone or have been married to them...you will always learn new things about them and how to improve your marriage.

So, I know some of the new moms out there (singles, twins, whatever!) are probably frustrated with their husbands. My advice is to try and remember this is new for them too. People cope and handle things differently. The joy of marriage is learning your spouses coping measures and mesh them with your own. Find ways to compromise, find ways to embrace them. Remember the positives and let go of the negatives.

And always, always remember to say 'I love you".

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Birth Story

Women don't want vaginal births so they can receive an award, or a trophy, or acknowledgement. Women want vaginal births because their body was made to birth a baby. Or two. Or three. The first thing I said when we learned we were carrying not one, but three babies, was that I didn't want a c-section. It wasn't that I had anything against c-sections...they are an amazing thing that when needed saves lives. However, I knew I would be essentially forced into one and that didn't sit well. I had dreamed up this amazing birth like the two I had before. My support system around me as we gently welcomed our new baby into the world. Tears, happiness, togetherness. Suddenly, that came crashing down. I would have to leave my midwife, whom I trusted and loved, and switch to an Ob who wouldn't give me the time I was used to. Who didn't know me or my body and how it delivered babies. When I first began looking for a new provider, I was right in my assumpt

Adventures in Breastfeeding

**Warning, Blog Contains Breastfeeding Pictures. Proceed at own risk ;) Pumping suck. There, I said it. I knew I would have to do some pumping, but I didn't think I would be doing this much. It makes me feel bad for cows, really. And not only does pumping suck, but so do bottles, and the mountain of them I seemed to be buried by every single day. I call this my bag of tricks ;) So I somehow got stuck in this downward spiral, and while my birth was about as close to perfect as I could have envisioned, our breastfeeding journey has not been. I know it's unrealistic to have this perfect image in your head and it actually happen, but we are getting there... it just didn't happen right away. I had lovely babies with great latches from the beginning. Yes, sometimes we had to fix a shallow latch, but they were preemies. And for them being early, we were all amazed they wanted to latch and they wanted to breastfeed, despite their sleepiness.   Sometimes, y

34 Weeks, Let the Countdown begin!

As each week passes, I just thank God we have made it so far. It's so hard to believe that we are nearing the end of this journey, only to begin a new journey! Our doctor appointment today was not uneventful. Baby A (Addisyn) weighed in at 4 pounds 1 ounce. Baby B (Bentley) weighed in at 5 pounds 1 ounce. Baby C (Connor) weighed in at 4 pounds 10 ounces. Almost 14 pounds of baby in there, and let me tell you- my body feels it! During their ultrasound, Addisyn decided in her usual fashion to be a little bit of a pain. She was hard to measure because she is sitting so low in my pelvis. She also is starting to exhibit signs of IUGR, as her growth is slowing. She is still growing, but on a curve she is starting to flat line out if that makes sense. Her fluids, while last week looked okay, were very very borderline today. They want to see pockets of 2+ and she was 2.03. She also didn't want to practice her breath, thankfully she did when the doctor looked at her again, beca